One of my hobbies is to keep trying to make my toddlers birthday menu interesting and fun for kids. It’s like a constant project that I keep working upon. The planning for next birthday starts as soon as one gets over! I like to make the food colourful, attractive and keeping the taste simple so that every kid will eat.
I keep bugging my friends too for ideas and so much so that now when they make or see anything creative and related to kiddie meals they send across pictures/links/recipes
Spaghetti with sausages was on my experiment list for a long time. Reason being that it looked like a fun food for kids! It turned out to be a long process specially getting the spaghettis through the sausages while making sure they don’t break or are too close to each-other else it will break the sausages and the purpose will be lost. Post this, the fair was a simple one to pull off.
The continuous giggling and ‘You are the best Mum’ tag was worth the effort. However, I would restrict this dish for a playdate rather than a finalist for birthday menu!
Serves – 2. Time – 1 hour
- Spaghetti – 250 gm / ½ packet
- Sausages – 4 big ones
- Garlic cloves chopped – 6
- Red pepper flakes – ¼ tsp
- Pepper – 1tsp
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp.
- Cheese Mozzarella/Processed grated – 1 tbsp.
- Parsley/Basil chopped – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cut the sausages in 1.5 inches and poke a spaghetti from one end to another. Repeat this with five spaghettis in one sausage
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti-sausage in the boiling water, stirring occasionally till 90% done. Should take around 10-12 minutes. Strain the water and set aside
- On medium flame, in a pan add olive oil & garlic and cook till garlic is golden brown (should take around 10 minutes). Switch off the flame
- Transfer pasta to the serving bowl, add red pepper flakes, black pepper, & salt. Pour the olive oil-garlic on to the pasta. Sprinkle cheese from top and mix everything with a light hand
- Sprinkle some cheese & parsley on top for garnishing