Post my marriage, my mom in law had cooked up a continental meal for dinner. The spread included salad, cutlets, meatloaf & roast chicken. She wouldn’t let me help her with the preparations except driving her around the city to pick up dinner rolls. She was sure that she wanted dinner rolls for the perfect spread. Not buns not a loaf not baguette nothing would do except this shape. Driving around in the chilling winters of Chandigarh, we were lucky enough to get it in the second bakery we went to!
Now that everything was taken care of, we had a peaceful coffee break. A fauji daughter herself, she told me stories of her mom’s culinary skills. Winter evening, hot coffee, mom in law narrating her stories & me listening wide eyed and an amazing meal waiting for us back home, everything seemed perfect in that moment.
Serves – 6 medium sized rolls. Preparation Time – 40 minutes. Proofing time – 2 hrs
- Whole-Wheat flour – 2 cups
- Dry Active Yeast – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Gluten – 2 tsp(optional)
- Jaggery powder – 1 tsp
- Milk – ½ cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Warm water – 200 ml – 250 ml
- Activate yeast by adding it to lukewarm milk(2 tbsp.) & jaggery powder. Set aside for 15 minutes. It should turn frothy
- Mix activated yeast & all remaining ingredients & knead a soft dough. Mix water gradually as required.
- Covering the dough with a damp cloth, set aside for 2-3 hours to proof
- Punch out the air lightly & divide the dough in to 6-8 balls
- Roll the ball in to thing logs and fold it in the figure of 8
- Place on a tray with oiled parchment paper and put it for second proofing for 30-40 minutes. Cover it with a damp cloth again.
- Give the rolls a milk wash
- Bake in a preheated oven at 210 degrees C for 25-30 minutes
- Place a few ice cubes while baking. This helps in keeping the bread soft