The process of baking bread is like meditation for me. It brings a sense of calmness to a super impatient person like me. The aroma of bread baking fills up the home giving it a cosy feeling. Of all the cooking, grilling and baking….baking bread remains my first love.
My encounter with breads started with a bread basket and then moved on to loaves and then more daring ones to make them attractive for my toddler.
With fresh rosemary & cherry tomatoes from the kitchen garden, Focaccia has become a permanent feature on our dining table.
Serves – 4. Time – Dough: 20 minutes. Proofing: 40 minutes. Baking: 25 minutes
- Flour(Maida) – 2 cups
- Yeast – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp + 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Olive oil – 2 tblspn
- Buttermilk/Milk/Water – 200 ml
- Rosemary(refer notes) – 2 sprigs
- Cherry Tomatoes – 10-12
- Activate yeast by mixing it in 1/4 cup lukewarm milk/water & 1/4 tsp sugar. It should turn frothy in 12-15 minutes
- Mix flour, sugar and salt in a big bowl
- Add activated yeast, buttermilk to the above mixture
- Knead a soft dough using stretch & fold method
- Keep aside for proofing for 40 minutes in an oiled vessel and covered with a damp cloth
- Once doubled in size, place in the baking tray and sprinkle the rosemary & cherry tomatoes
- Next, make depressions with fingers and drizzle olive oil
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees
- Experiment with toppings. I prefer, Rosemary/ Cherry Tomatoes/ Onions/ Bell peppers & Olives
- I use buttermilk which is the liquid leftover after making ghee(clarified butter). The plain market bought buttermilk/milk works just as well
- Once you place the dough for baking, put 3-4 ice cubes in the bottom shelf
- Focaccia pairs well with oregano infused olive oil OR plain olive oil. I prefer it plain with a cup of coffee